Buy Handmade in the UK

Buy Handmade in the UK
My Misi Store

Thursday 7 February 2008

I'm Baaaaaack!



I have been having a hard time catching up just lately with my DT commitments, the grand opening at MCC, teaching my local classes and all the stuff that goes with closing the B&M store & rebuilding the website. Happily I think I've got it under control now.
Last December I joined FlyLady in an attempt to gain control over my housekeeping & I've been fluttering (i don't FLY just yet! LOL) ever since. I've applied the same principles of small steps to my work - and it's working. Instead of plouging my way thru a list as long as my arm and constantly worrying that it's not getting any shorter, now I just pick 4-5 things to do today ... & I get them all done!
Instant sense of achievement & I feel ready to crack on the next day too. The list will always be as long as my arm. There's always something to do, right? But I feel like I'm winning! LOL
The same thing applies to my DT work. At the weekend I had five projects to complete & usually I would try to get them all done over the weekend. As I was still busy over at MCC this weekend, I have to say the panic was rising. I was also starting to become dissatisfied with what I was creating - like I'm rushing it all & it's not the best it can be. So I tackled just one project each day and because it's only one, if I want to spend three hours on a card I can. Very liberating!
So this is the card I made for Di Hickman's February #1 sketch. I'm back to creating things that I really like and getting satisfaction out of it again - so rewarding!
Anyway - the card: I cut the li'l patchwork squares, sanded the edges and matted them on to a lighter colour, stamped the stitching with black ink (masking with scrap paper where necessary) sanded the edges again & then matted the whole thing onto darker paper. The card blank was cut from A4 cardstock & then the panel edges were sanded before mounting centrally with the fold at the top. The hearts are die cuts, sanded and then the edges highlighted with doodled lines in pink & black. The flowers are punched and doodled in the same way (black only, no sanding)and the tag was made with a Making Mamories Tag Maker and scraps trimmed from the card blank. A layer of gathered lace is glued to the back of the tag, rub on added to the blue heart and then the whole thing assembled with DST & foam tape. Gems are added for the flower centres.
Supplies: Papers & Die Cuts: Fancy Pants Sweet Pea; Cardstock: SU!; Flower Punch: EK Success (Retro Flower); Gems & Stitches Stamp: A Muse; Rub On: HOTP
If you have a go at this sketch, be sure to hook up the link in Di's comments & I'll come visit you!

3 comments:

Adriann said...

Hello there! I took the scrap class and enjoyed it immensely. I didn't upload any projects, but I've been making quite a bit of cards using my scraps. Thanks so much!

Looby said...

This just GORGEOUS hun!! Loving those papers - can't wait to play with mine now! LOL

Annie said...

your card is beautiful! so much work but so worth it!

Still Loving Cosmo Cricket!