Buy Handmade in the UK

Buy Handmade in the UK
My Misi Store

Monday, 16 June 2008

In Case of Emergency ...

I have been making more of the scrummy flowers from Friday's post (look out on Thursday to see why!) & I finally had enough of struggling along with a blunt tapestry needle ... no good at all! I have no idea what has happened to the plethora of sewing stuff I know I have had at one time or another, so I sent DH down the the local supermarket on Sunday afternoon to buy one of those emergency sewing kits they hang on the ends of the aisles. He returned with a nasty plastic box thingy - seriously hideous and yet, exactly what I had asked for ... Oh dear, that simply wouldn't do!
Cosmo Cricket to the rescue! Trim Trimmeree to be exact. LOL. The tubes that Trim Trimmeree are packaged in are absolutely crying out to be altered (they are clever folks over at Cosmo HQ you know!) and are the perfect size for an emergency kit - mine's for sewing but you could fit mini make up brushes, fave cosmetics, lip balm or whatever in there too! How about an emergency journaling kit with notepaper, decorated pencil, eraser etc - I see some fabby gift ideas here!
So, back to the kit. The tube lid is already threaded with ribbon, so just takes a circle of paper to finish it. It happens to be exactly the right size for a 2.5" circle punch (it's like they knew what I'd want to do & made the dimensions to fit my tools - spooky huh?) I've inked the edges with Chestnut Roan fluid chalk ink - I like a bit of shabby chic - & then just ran a fingernail in the recess to get the paper right in around the edge. I did the same with the bottom, which might be a bit sad as no one can see it ... but I'd know if I hadn't finished it off & it would bug me! I wrapped a strip of the same paper around the tube. Instead of trying to disguise the join, I tore it & inked it up ... made it the front in effect. I threaded the chipboard tag, embellished with rub ons, and initial (which I altered with co ordinating paper cuz it clashed) on to thin chiffon ribbon And threaded them onto the ribbon band around the tube, stuck it all in place and finished off with a sparkly button.
The needle case is a really simple 'matchbook' & the felt is held in place with a fastenater staple, which doubles to keep the matchbook closure secure. I've also made a li'l ribbon band to stop the measuring tape from unraveling. It's just held together with a couple of stitches & a tiny button.
Supplies: Cosmo Cricket Honey Pie 8x8 paper pad; Nursery Trim Trimmeree; Storybook Cigar Box (for chipboard elements); So Precious rub ons.

The best bits for me are that, cuz it's pink none of the guys in my house will borrow it AND it's another project for the Arty Girlz ongoing recycling challenge (for which I'm the permanent GDT) - go recycling ... go me!!

4 comments:

Julie said...

Beverley this is fantastic!!

crissi said...

Its gorgeous beverly love the papers you have used.

Thaks for adding it to the Arty Girlz on going recycling challenge.

crissi xx

Anonymous said...

Great idea, glad to see that you are still managing to blog everyday, very impressed! LOL Auntie Jane

Shirley said...

Love this little sewing kit..the needle book is adorable!

Still Loving Cosmo Cricket!